Your Logbook Explained!

Posted on Friday 11 October 2019 by CarTakeBack

Facebook Twitter

You've probably read that we promise to make every step of scrapping your car easy… and it's true!

Part of that service is taking care of the paperwork. But obviously we can't go rifling through your filing system (or let's be honest, your 'keep-everything-in-it' draw!). And when it comes to getting rid of a car, getting the paperwork right is really important. So here's how we can help, and everything you need to know.

When you scrap your car with CarTakeBack, the Department of Transport in Shannon is notified and you'll be sent an official Certificate of Destruction. This is proof that your car has been scrapped and will free you from any responsibility for the car. That's a great feeling. But before all that happens you need to be able to produce your logbook to sell the car to us legally.

Can I sell my car if I don't have my logbook?

You'll need your logbook to be able to sell your car. Not to worry though, you can get a replacement using form RF134 and taking it to a Garda station to be signed. You then simply need to complete the form and send it to your local Motor Tax Office.

Download form RF134 to get a replacement Vehicle Registration Certificate from the Government website >

See a list of Motor Tax Offices on the Government website >

What to do with your logbook when you sell your scrap car, step-by-step guide

So, you've decided to get rid of your old car and use CarTakeBack. Thanks, and well done on making a great decision! We'll look after you and your car!

Step 1

Whether your car is going to be scrapped or re-used, legally we have to have your Logbook to take the car. A logbook is officially known as a Vehicle Registration Certificate (VRC), or Vehicle Licensing Certificate if it was issued before May 2004.


Step 2

If your car is being returned to the road, as well as handing over your logbook, you’ll need to notify the Department of Transport that you’ve sold your car. Our recycling centre will supply you with the appropriate form and help you to fill it in (including their valid garage code).

If your car was registered after 1st January 1993 you'll be given form RF105, which you should send to the Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division. The Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division is part of the Department of Transport Tourism and Sport (DTTAS). This government agency maintains Ireland's National Vehicle and Driver File (NVDF), which is a database of all the registered vehicles, owners and licensed drivers in the country. Your Logbook is what keeps the NVDF up-to-date!

If your car was registered before 1993, you'll be given form RF200, which you should send to your local Motor Tax Office.

Step 3

Now all the paperwork is sorted! If you buy a new or second hand vehicle you'll be sent a new logbook (VRC) and now you know how important that document is. So make sure it gets filed away safely for the future, whether you sell the car privately, or you keep it long enough that you want us to scrap it for you!

CarTakeBack helping with the paperwork

If you still have questions, you can find all of the answers in the following categories:

About your quote About your Car Having your car collected Dropping your car off Getting paid How the law affects you How the law affects us About CarTakeBack

Alternatively, you can search our website below:

Call Us

1800 844 389 during opening hours.

Standard call rates apply. Mobile costs may vary.

Get a Call Back

During opening hours request a call back by entering your telephone number below.
An operator will call you as soon as they become available.

Send an email to or use the form below.

It helps if you tell us your registration or reference number if you have one.
During opening hours we'll usually respond within two hours.

Chat with us online now.

Online chat is compatible with most desktop and tablet computers, and may be available outside of our usual opening hours.