Are there any circumstances when I won't get a Certificate of Destruction?

If you have a motorbike, or a van with a gross vehicle weight over 3,500kg, you won't get a Certificate of Destruction. Instead, you will get a Notification of Destruction.

If, after discussing with you, the recycling centre believes that it is more environmentally responsible for your car to be repaired instead of being scrapped, you won't get a Certificate of Destruction.

In both of these cases it's your responsibility to get in touch with the Department of Transport in Shannon.


If you still have questions, you can find all of the answers in the following categories:

About your quote About your Car Having your car collected Dropping your car off Getting paid How the law affects you How the law affects us About CarTakeBack

Alternatively, you can search our website below:

Call Us

0818 000 208 during opening hours.

Standard call rates apply. Mobile costs may vary.

Get a Call Back

During opening hours request a call back by entering your telephone number below.
An operator will call you as soon as they become available.

Send an email to or use the form below.

It helps if you tell us your registration or reference number if you have one.
During opening hours we'll usually respond within two hours.

Chat with us online now.

Online chat is compatible with most desktop and tablet computers, and may be available outside of our usual opening hours.