Do I need to provide my car's Vehicle Registration Certificate?

Yes, you need your Vehicle Registration Certificate to scrap your car and receive your Certificate of Destruction. If you have misplaced it, don't worry, you can get a new one using form RF134.

Find out how you can replace your certificate 

In May 2004 the Government changed the name for car registration documents from "Vehicle Licensing Certificate" to "Vehicle Registration Certificate". If your certificate was issued before this date, your document may be called a Licensing Certificate.


If you still have questions, you can find all of the answers in the following categories:

About your quote About your Car Having your car collected Dropping your car off Getting paid How the law affects you How the law affects us About CarTakeBack

Alternatively, you can search our website below:

Call Us

0818 000 208 during opening hours.

Standard call rates apply. Mobile costs may vary.

Get a Call Back

During opening hours request a call back by entering your telephone number below.
An operator will call you as soon as they become available.

Send an email to or use the form below.

It helps if you tell us your registration or reference number if you have one.
During opening hours we'll usually respond within two hours.

Chat with us online now.

Online chat is compatible with most desktop and tablet computers, and may be available outside of our usual opening hours.