How do I know an Authorised Treatment Facility is approved by the Government?

All businesses that handle scrap cars, which means car dismantlers, scrap yards, junk yards, salvage yards and breakers, have to obtain an Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF) Waste Licence, or Waste Permit, from their local authorities. It's the responsibility of the local authorities to carry out regular visits to ensure compliance with the regulations.

All of CarTakeBack's scrap car recycling centres hold a valid ATF Waste Licence, or ATF Waste Permit.

The standards required by the permit and licence were set by the Department of the Environment, Community & Local Government. They require businesses to invest substantially in buildings and equipment, concrete surfaces and sealed drainage systems. This is needed to stop toxic chemicals leaking into the ground where they could end up polluting the ground and water supplies.

Only sites holding an Authorised Treatment Facility Waste Permit or Waste Licence can register with the Department of Transport (DoT) in Shannon, which enables them to issue you with a Certificate of Destruction